Specialities, Services, Hospitals, Labs, Insurance, Specialist, Doctorname
Quality Health in association with Gleneagles Global Cancer Centre (G2C2) conducted a Cancer Awareness Talk on the occasion of World Cancer Day @ World Bank Group, Taramani. Dr S Balaji Subramanian, Consultant Radiation Oncologist, Gleneagles Global Health City, Chennai spoke about Common Myths and Misconceptions regarding the disease. There was also an interactive Q & A session at the program.
Photos taken at the Event
Please take few minutes to know about Some Common Myths and Misconceptions of CANCER with Interactive Question and Answers
There is evidence that Mobile phones can give you brain cancer
B = FALSE
So far, most studies have found no sufficient evidence to link mobile phones use and brain cancer.
Cancer can be caused by a knock or a bruise
•IN SOME CASES
B = FALSE
Cancer Research survey, up to 40% of the people questioned mistakenly believed that if men bruise their testicles or women their breasts it could trigger the disease. But injuries such as bruises, cuts, or broken bones cannot cause cancer.
What % of cancer patients with pain are likely to become addicted to morphine and other strong painkillers?
A. Less than 1%
A = Less than 1%
What most people mean by this is, 'Will I become hooked and unable to stop the morphine, even if I no longer need it for pain control?'
The answer is a definite 'No!' Over the years, we have treated several thousand cancer patients with morphine. We have never had trouble stopping treatment because of 'addiction'. People who need strong painkillers to control their pain do not become addicted to their medications, and they do not usually cause any harm
InOpinion Poll. How many men and women wrongly believe that you can catch cancer itself from somebody who has the disease
A.50% men30% women
B.30% men20% women
C.25% men20% women
A = 50% men 30% women
Lung cancer is just a smoker’s disease.
B = FALSE
Although the major risk factor of lung cancer is smoking, around one in six people with lung cancer have never smoked
How many cancers couldadopting a healthy lifestyle prevent?
B 10-20% of cancers
D 50% of all cancers
D = 50% of all cancers
You have less chance of developing lung cancer if you smoke low tar cigarettes rather than high tar ones.
B = FALSE.
Still exposed to over 4000 chemicals and often these people inhale more deeply
You are more likely to suffer long term effects from drinking and have an increased risk of developing some cancers if you.
A.Binge drink alcohol
B.Drink alcohol every day
C.Just drink at the weekends
B = Drink alcohol every day
Regularly eating meat cooked on a charcoal grill can increase your risk for cancer.
A = TRUE
Living in a polluted city is a greater risk for lung cancer than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day
B = FALSE
What are the main risk factors for cancer of the Bowel
A. Smoking and diet
B. Smoking and Obesity
C. Alcohol, obesity, family history, diet
D. Family history, diet and obesity
C = Alcohol, obesity, family history, diet
What are the main risk factors for oral cancers
A. Smoking, Alcohol, poor diet / nutrition
B. Smoking and alcohol
C. Smoking, diet / nutrition
A = Smoking, Alcohol, poor diet / nutrition
Over 99% of cervical cancers are caused by exposure to a virus
A = TRUE- Human Papillomavirus
HPV the facts RCN 2006 TYPES 16 AND 18 cause 70% of cancers the other types cause around 30%. There is a new vaccine for 12 and 13 year olds with a catch up programme for older girls
How many children under the age of 15 develops cancer?
A. 1 in 500
B. 1 in 1000
C. 1 in 1500
A = 1 in 500
Cancer’s Seven Warning Signals
The earlier the diagnosis the better the prospect for survival
Credits: Gleneagles Global Cancer Centre (G2C2)
Food, Diet and Nutrition page suggest & advice on good foods and how much to eat, to ensure a high quality of life,...
Tips to keep you in shape, prevent disease, build strength and energy levels and reduce stress.. for more &...
Learn to prevent Diabetes, Heart Disease, Stroke, Obesity…. they all occur just due to the way you live…<...
Recent trends and developments in Health Care Quality...